The GWA Library is available as a resource to the entire GWA community. The library, is filled with books in English, French and Arabic, but it also hosts online resources as well as other resources.
Approximately 60,000 books, DVDs, CDs, Playaway book packs, Audio books, and teacher and student resources aligned to the curriculum.
Online resources and databases, which provide high quality information that is not freely available on the web. Currently we subscribe to the following online resources:
- Britannica Encyclopedia: Online reliable general knowledge platform designed to make student’s research effective and easyE-library: online library with free access to 30+ authoritative and updated databases.
- Tumblebooks: electronic collection of Tumblebooks, animated, talking picture books which teach kids the joy of reading in a format they’ ll like.
- Accelerated Reader: software for primary and secondary schools used for monitoring and assessing the student’s reading level in English.
- Rallye de Lecture: is a Reading program for primary and secondary students used for monitoring and assessing the student’s reading level in French.
- JSTOR: digital library containing digitized back issues of academic journals, primary resources, full text articles and current issues of journals.
- Noodletools: a web based research integrated service that supports authentic research and academic writing. It helps students with different formats of citations.
- BrainPop French and English: is an educational website with over 1000 animated movies for students in grades K-12, together with quizzes and related materials, covering the subjects of Science, Social studies, English, Mathematics, Engineering, Health, and Art and Music.
All of these resources can be accessed through Destiny, George Washington Academy’s online library catalog.
The Library staff is readily available to support the community in many ways:
- Helping teachers, staff, students and parents find the books and information they need.
- Providing library instruction to elementary students during regularly scheduled library times
- Partnering with teachers at all levels and in all three languages to help teach 21st century research skills, including how to locate, analyze and cite information.
- Providing story times to our younger students
- Encouraging reading and providing our students, staff and parents with books for their enjoyment and learning
You can contact library staff at email@example.com
All GWA teachers, staff, and students are eligible to use and borrow library books. In order to check out a book, students must have a clear library account (no overdue or fines). Checkout period is 2 weeks.
- GWA parents: can check out up to 2 books at a time for their personal use.
- K2: parents can check out 1 book under their kids’ name.
- K3 – K5: students can check out up to 3 English books, 1 in French and 1 in Arabic with their parents.
- Grade 1: can checkout up to 5 books independently from the library (3 English books, 1 in French and 1 in Arabic). During library classes, students can check out 3 books (1 in English, 1 in Arabic, and 1 in French).
- Grade 2 - grade 5: students can check out up to 7 books from the library (5 English books, 1 in French, and 1 in Arabic). During library classes, they can check out 5 books only, (3 English books, 1 in French, and 1 in Arabic).
- Grade 6 – Grade 12: students can check out a total of 7 books (not more than 5 English books only for MS students) any time they come to the library.
With a login account, Patrons (students, teachers, staff and parents) can view their checkouts, fines and due dates, download Follett eBooks, place holds, view history checkouts from Destiny and more, How patrons can access Destiny?
- K – Grade 1 and parents: request your library barcodes from the library and create your account.
- Grade 2 – Grade 8: use your AR user name and password to login in to Destiny.
- Grade 9 – Grade 12: use your user name and password you’re using to connect to GWA computers.
- Teachers, Staff: use your user name and password you’re using to connect to GWA computers.